Sunday, August 2, 2009

Fans of Green Knowe

Since my post on visiting Lucy Boston's manor (aka Green Knowe), I've received some emails from other fans of the books.

From Ashley:

Just discovered your blog about your visit in 2004 to Hemingford Grey.

What a lovely visit! Thank you for sharing. I have been a fan of the Green Knowe books (and, yes, Nothing Said, too) since I was a child and they are still my absolute favorite books. I have yet to visit the Manor though I was able to purchase books, postcards and the replica of Toby's mouse some years back. They arrived in time for Christmas and provided me with a wonderful holiday. Your honeymoon sounds as spectacular!

Again, thank you for sharing.


And from Helen (whose email had the lovely subject "Kindred spirit!"):

Dear Anna

You won't have a clue who I am, but I've just read your piece about your recent visit to 'Green Knowe' and simply had to mail you.

I thought it was just me who was utterly enchanted by the Green Knowe books, but I'm seeing that there is an under current of worship bubbling away across the world. I visited The Manor about 3 years ago and was totally stunned at the reality of the books within that glorious house. I was singled out as the book fan too (at that stage I was 29!) and was given Toby's mouse to hold. I cried! I was so overcome with the magic of the place.

I was given the box set of Green Knowe many years ago be a beloved Aunty. I only started reading it after the BBC series in 1986, but from then on I was hooked.

Hearing about the new film made me crackle with excitment. Just hope it does "Chimneys" justice. I'm sure it will, Maggie Smith is a treasure!

I have wintersweet in my garden and am due to aquire Daphne and Witchhazel. My own little Green Knowe patch!

Here's to the forthcoming release of From Time to Time and may Green Knowe live on forever!

Best wishes from Manchester, England

I must admit I've been rather delighted to get these emails - not only to know that people other than my Mum (Hi Mum) are reading my blog, but also that there are more fans out there of Lucy Boston's work than I thought.

Gone all warm and fuzzy.

Speaking of warm and fuzzy, the trailer for the adaptation of The Chimneys of Green Knowe is out!

No comments: