Friday, June 25, 2010

1.38 metres of reading

I received the complete lot of books for judging today. 70 entries, 7 weeks til The Decision is due.

Luka very kindly helped me unpack the books:





I've judged this award once before, and I remember the stack of books was pretty tall, but I don't remember it being THIS TALL:



It's 138cm of books. Yes, I'm in my pyjamas. It's 7pm, aren't you in your pyjamas?

I'm also 179cm tall, which is pretty tall for a woman (or a man for that matter, but even more so for a woman) so having a stack of books come up past my boobs is kind of scary. Some of my friends only come up to my boobs. I'm not scared of them, though. That's different.

Looking back, in 2008 the stack was this tall:


I was about 3 weeks pregnant there, though I didn't know it yet. Aw.

There were 65 entries that year. Though there are only 5 more entries this year, it feels like a big difference in stack height.

Oh hey, but I'm wearing the same socks today!

Are books getting longer? Am I getting shorter? Can I get through 70 books in the next 7 weeks?

9 comments:

simmone said...

wow - i don't know if its encouraging or scary that there are more books/fatter books ... YA you are everywhere... happy reading, Anna! (erm, fast reading.)

Anna Ryan-Punch said...

And there's not even an Isobelle Carmody 1000-pager amongst them!

Kirsty Murray said...

Wow from me too. That's a mighty task! You are a brave, brave woman, Anna Ryan-Punch. I would have thought once bitten, twice shy. I'm impressed and you haven't even started reading them!

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) said...

I believe that tower of books may come up to my ears...

Anna Ryan-Punch said...

It's amazing what I will do for money, Kirsty.

marajayne said...

I have a thought as to why the stack seems bigger, did you consider that your boobs may have gone a little south since stopping breast feeding???!! (speaking from experience)

Anna Ryan-Punch said...

Oh no, I'm sure I'm just getting shorter. Far more likely.

Misrule said...

How tall are you in the old money, Anna?

Anna Ryan-Punch said...

Not sure - 5 foot 10 or 11 I think?