Tuesday, June 1, 2010

(Meal) ticket to read

Pretty soon I'll be embarking on another judging-related reading binge, which will mean even less blogging than usual (again!). But hey, I get paid to judge (why don't I get paid to blog?) and I like to know where my next meal is coming from.

On that note, I've been rekindling my love affair with John Forbes. Perhaps I'll keep him in mind when I can't face another novel:

Reading

funny
how the eye
goes right
to the line
where we left off
reading
but the brain
can't accept
how serenely
at one
with the book
we are,
the way
hunters once knew
- just knew -
when to throw
the spear & where
exactly,
in all
the bright world,
their next meal
was coming from.

- John Forbes

5 comments:

simmone said...

lovely!
I'm glad to know you are judging! It's been a good year for ozya I reckon so you better take your iron ... good luck with it!
simmone

Anna Ryan-Punch said...

Are you doing it too? I know they were threatening to ask you...

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) said...

Someone pay me to blog too! Although then I may have to sell my soul...

simmone said...

no- I'll be away. didn't want to drag all those books on my country rambles ... my I had a twinge - even though it was hard I really liked judging that year - felt like I got to know all these writers I otherwise may have overlooked ... good luck with it (I'm hoping to go to green knowe inspired by your post :))

Anna Ryan-Punch said...

You so should go to Green Knowe then we can squee about it together! I can give you Diana Boston's email address if you want to set up a visit...it's all on the website though: http://greenknowe.co.uk/visiting.html