(based on suggestions from @twitofalili, @GretasTARDIS, @marklawrence, @suznannah and @snazzydee)
Careful born heroine she was packaged
often humorously stickered
with beautiful lemurs and gorgeous sloths
Someone knew the definition of roguish
one day in december they named her
after grace and grace and racing on one leg
running faster than everyone’s thoughts.
I could see what she was reading,
her wits and tears scripted oldish
jobs into newish beginnings.
We called like whales (deep notes, long songs,
soft crafts to keep her weaved in)
Even old lovers bowed their heads, they
blessed her cotton socks. We send birds
to tuck in the frame of her mirror.
It’s not as good as it sounds, we are
completely selfish in her sudden smile
Don’t be ridiculous, we looked up the true
meaning of folly in latin, instead
it told us more of ourselves.
It read: type letters into a crowd
grow leaves for more than one tree
shovel love back and forth
back and up into new hands
our fingers can hold so much more.
- @marklawrence: “could u one day work in leaving jobs and new beginnings into a poem?”
- @twitofalili: “ ‘picaresque’, because of the Decemberists and because today I learned what it means.”
- @suznannah “Whales! #warrnambool.”
- @gretasTARDIS: “ex-lovers! Cotton socks! Annnnnnd”
- @snazzydee: “PACKAGE! MAIL! POST! STICKERS!”