Saturday, March 19, 2011

The hero Gotham deserves

(based on suggestions from @sorrell_smith, @jellyjellyfish and @tysonarmstrong)

That's one trouble with dual identities:

dual responsibilities. Another youth on the road

to a brighter tomorrow. Live long enough to see yourself

become the villain - madness, as you know, is like gravity:

all it takes is a little politics. Issues confuse people.

Lie. Like I lied. Owe your life to dental hygiene,

now I'm always smiling. I turned out all right.


Some men aren't looking for anything logical, like

white potato and corn protectors;

steady nerves and a good ear.

Some men sacrifice safety for speed,

watch the world burn.

If you're good at something, never do it for free.

I assure you, your money is a child

playing with a ruby the size of a tangerine.

What are you going to do?

Consume nectars and ambrosia, not hot dogs?


Whatever doesn’t kill you, simply makes you

destined to do this forever.

Wanna know how I got these scars?

Just something: a little stranger

with a face, guiding our destiny.

I’m not afraid of scum like you.

Why should I hide? I am sacred to the

Sun God, Hymeopolos.

And I promise you, the dawn is coming.

________________________________________________

This poem is based on suggestions from 3 peeps:

  • @sorrell_smith: "Money"
  • @jellyjellyfish: "Batman"
  • @tysonarmstrong: "A bowl of corn husks"

Today's poem is entirely constructed from quotes from The Dark Knight, and the 60s Batman tv series starring Adam West (mostly quotes from this site). I haven't added a single word, just chopped quotes and punctuation about. It was really, really fun. Including a 'bowl of corn husks' suggestion was the hardest. I searched for hours! I had to leave out the 'bowl' part in the end and fudge it with 'corn protectors'. Apparently no one says anything related to crockery on Batman, ever. Hmph.

This poem is also based on this lolpic, which @matchtrick has appropriately hashtagged #batgeezer. Best ever.



4 comments:

Tyson said...

I was perhaps a little cruel.

Anna Ryan-Punch said...

I have written a whole other non-blog poem about a bowl of corn husks today. So you were cruel and kind :)

Mark D Osborne said...

At least he obeyed the written rules: he had no food; he had no drinks;and, he had no bare feet.

I cared, but I also practised listing things with semi-colons. Who used who?

Anonymous said...

Really good post!